School shootings remain uniquely attractive because the media gives shooters a massive platform to air their hateful views.
By Kenny Xu
The Sante Fe High School shooting was a horrific tragedy, but it was also a sadly predictable affair.
A socially isolated white man takes out his rage on his school. The media, appalled, tries to study what went wrong. Some blame guns. Some blame toxic masculinity. All repeat the name of the shooter, over and over again, until his name, and his deranged views, become as embedded in the public consciousness as any celebrity. The public commentariat abides by a cultural script that spins the shootings into one partisan direction or another, allowing the acts of violence to completely dominate our news cycle, across airwaves and headlines. In a sad perverse way, the shooters get exactly what they wanted — attention.
And the cycle of shoot, rinse, repeat, continues.
Over the past 20 years, news media have failed to balance their investigative natures with concerns about legitimizing the views and lifestyles of people whose world views do not deserve to be heard. One of the first articles in The Washington Post to accompany the actual news of the Santa Fe shooting was a lengthy profile of the perpetrator, the headline saying that he had a “fondness for trench coats and a growing darkness.” From Santa Fe, to Parkland, to Charleston, to Aurora and Virginia Tech, the news media can’t help but elevate the platforms of deranged men by publishing their sick, twisted views.
Read More: http://thefederalist.com/2018/05/22/media-increases-school-shootings-immortalizing-perpetrators/
If their goal is to keep us safe, then law enforcement and the surveillance state failed at every step of the Parkland shooting.
They want us to give up more of our rights based on their complete failure?
(No one has yet shown how limiting ownership to law-abiding citizens will stop the actions of those who would break the law and commit the ultimate sin of murder, in a country with 300 million firearms in circulation.
FBI didn’t contact Google during probe on Florida shooter
The FBI was told of a threat accused Florida shooter Nikolas Cruz made on YouTube last September but never contacted the company to track down its source, missing an early indicator, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley said Friday.
Someone reported the online threat to the FBI and the bureau opened a counterterrorism investigation but closed it on Oct. 11 saying it never managed to identify the person behind the post.
It wasn’t until after last week’s school massacre that the FBI did track down the author and found it was the 19-year-old man now accused of slaying 17 people at his former high school, Mr. Grassley’s office said, after getting briefings from both the FBI and Google.
Google would have been able to help confirm the commentator’s identity if the FBI had followed up, Mr. Grassley’s office said.
The FBI also missed a crucial tip from a caller in January. The person described Mr. Cruz as “mentally ill with violent tendencies,” Mr. Grassley’s office said. The caller said Mr. Cruz mutilated small animals and had pulled a rifle on his late mother, and had threatened more violence.
Read More: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/feb/23/chuck-grassley-fbi-didnt-contact-google-during-pro/